Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition 2005 Report Card
The Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition (SVTC) produces a Report Card of technology companies which assess the toxins in their products and whether or not the company works for their safe disposal.
SVTC uses information published by companies themselves about their environmental policies and the environmental features of their product. SVTC promotes ‘clean and green’ production and a concept known as extended producer responsibility, or EPR. Simply stated, EPR requires companies to take full financial and physical responsibility for their products throughout their life cycle, including end-of-life recycling, reuse, or disposal. In other words, products EPR would require that a company whose products pose hazardous during disposal, such as computers, take responsibility.
SVTC uses the following criteria for evaluating whether companies adhere to Extended Producer Responsibility:
- How are company take-back goals stated?
- To what depth is the take-back program discussed on the company web site for individual customers?
- To what depth is the take-back program discussed for corporate customers?
- How are upgrade capabilities for products described?
- How does the company report whether their products are under any private, product eco-labels?
- Are products designed for recyclability and disassembly?
Hazardous Materials Use:
- How informative is explanatory regarding chemicals used in the manufacturing process?
- Is there any information about the current reduction/phase out of PVC?
- Is there any information about the current reduction/phase out of lead?
- Is there any information about the current reduction/phase out of mercury?
- Is there any information about the current reduction/phase out of halogenated flame retardants?
- How are toxic material phase-out goals stated?
Occupational Health and Safety:
- How is information regarding injuries and illnesses differentiated?
- How does the company monitor and report illnesses in their workforce?
- How does the company monitor and report injuries in their workforce?
Online Information Access:
- Is all environmental/health information located within one place on the web site?
- Is all environmental/health information made obvious from the homepage or the same web pages customers use for shopping?
To learn more about the Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition and view company report cards visit their website at http://svtc.org/.